Finca El Maco, San Agustín
FINCA EL MACO

Archaeological Park

The name de mesitas indicates the temples, made out of gigantic horizontal stone tiles which are supported by columns, appearing like tables (span. mesita = table).

Historical information: In 1931 president Enrique Olaya Herrera passed a law, declaring the ruins and cultural works as national monument of the Alto Magdalena and San Agustín. It prohibits selling and exploiting archeological objects and enabled the government to buy properties in order to found a national park which was finally realized in 1935. On December 5th 1995 the archeological park was declared historical World Heritage Site by the UNESCO.

Area: 78 ha; the archeological part as well as the nature are under protection.

Location: ca. 3 km in the east of the city centre of San Agustín.

Altitude: 1730 MASL

Getting there: on asphalt roads, with micro busses, by foot or horse.

Previously this canyon along the northern slope was known as Gallineros.

Finally it was given the name Alto de las Piedras because of all the stone statues spread over the place. The site consists of monumental sculptures, artificial hills, funeral halls and big tombs, decorated with multicolored paintings.

Location: 5 km away from Isnos, 42 km away from San Agustín

Size of the parks: 4 ha

Altitude: 1750 MASL

Era: 1st century BC – 6th century AC

Historical information: investigated by Konrad Theodor Preuss (1913 - 1914), reconstruction by Luis Duque Gomez and Julio Cesar Cubillos (1972 - 1975).

The name of this cosmic centre originates from the word ídolo (lat. Idolum = idol, image of God) influenced by the Spanish conquistadores.

The park consists of two mesitas (tables), connected by an artificial, 300 m long ramp. The ensemble of Mesita A includes 9 funeral unities in the style of a necropolis where jaguar-shamans were buried.

Location: on the edge of the Cerro de la Horqueta (Horqueta-hill), on the left side of the Río Magdalena

Distance: 32 km away from San Agustín

Era: 1st century BC – 6th century AC

Historic information: investigated by Konrad Theodor Preuss (1913 – 1914), reconstruction by Juan Fried (1940 – 1942), Luis Duque Gómez and Julio Cesar Cubillos (1972).