The name de mesitas indicates the temples, made out of gigantic horizontal stone tiles which are supported by columns, appearing like tables (esp. mesita = table).


Historical information: In 1931 president Enrique Olaya Herrera passed a law, declaring the ruins and cultural works as national monument of the Alto Magdalena and San Agustín. It prohibits selling and exploiting archaeological objects and enabled the government to buy properties in order to found a national park which was finally realized in 1935. On December 5th 1995 the archaeological park was declared historical World Heritage Site by the UNESCO.

Area: 78 ha; the archaeological part as well as the nature are under protection.

Location: ca. 3 km in the east of the city center of San Agustín.

Altitude: 1730 MASL

Getting there: on asphalt roads, with vans, by foot, bike or horse.

Archaeological Park San Agustín


Previously this canyon along the northern slope was known as Gallineros.

Finally it was given the name Alto de las Piedras because of all the stone statues spread over the place. The site consists of monumental sculptures, artificial hills, funeral halls and big tombs, decorated with multicolored paintings.


Location: 5 km away from Isnos, 42 km away from San Agustín

Size of the parks: 4 ha

Altitude: 1750 MASL

Era: 1st century BC – 6th century AC

Historical information: investigated by Konrad Theodor Preuss (1913 - 1914), reconstruction by Luis Duque Gomez and Julio Cesar Cubillos (1972 - 1975).



The name of this cosmic centre originates from the word ídolo (lat. Idolum = idol, image of God) influenced by the Spanish conquistadores.

The park consists of two mesitas (tables), connected by an artificial, 300 m long ramp. The ensemble of Mesita A includes 9 funeral unities in the style of a necropolis where jaguar-shamans were buried.


Location: on the edge of the Cerro de la Horqueta (Horqueta-hill), on the left side of the Río Magdalena

Distance: 32 km away from San Agustín

Era: 1st century BC – 6th century AC

Historic information: investigated by Konrad Theodor Preuss (1913 – 1914), reconstruction by Juan Fried (1940 – 1942), Luis Duque Gómez and Julio Cesar Cubillos (1972).

Archaeological Park San Agustín

San Agustín, Huila.


Tel: (+57) 320 375 5982 


Registro Nacional de Turismo 12541

Nuestros aliados / Our partners

logo chaska.jpg.png

Síguenos en / Follow us:

  • Instagram
  • Facebook Social Icon

Diseño Web y textos: Finca El Maco. 

Fotografías y videos: Finca El Maco y Ludwig Santana Fotografía.


©Copyright 2021 Finca El Maco San Agustin Colombia ----- All Rights Reserved.     


Finca El Maco se atiene a la Ley 1336 de 2009 y la resolución 3840 que complementa la Ley 679 del Congreso de la República sobre publicar en sus productos e información turística, las disposiciones que se dan para prevenir y combatir la explotación, la pornografía y el turismo sexual con menores. De acuerdo con estas indicaciones, todos debemos prevenir, evitar y denunciar la explotación, el almacenamiento, el uso, la publicación, la distribución de imágenes, textos, documentos, archivos audiovisuales, el uso de redes de información global o cualquier otro enlace telemático relacionado con la pornografía o alusivos a la sexualidad de menores. 

Finca El Maco abides by Law 1336 of 2009 and resolution 3840 that complements Law 679 of the Congress of the Republic publishing in its products and tourist information, the provisions that are given to prevent and combat exploitation, pornography and sex tourism with minors. According to these forecasts we must all prevent, avoid and denounce the exploitation, storage, use, publication, distribution of images, texts, documents, audiovisual files, use of global information networks or any other telematic link related to pornography or allusive to the sexuality of minors.